Ilhan Omar filmed a thank-you video for a restaurant owner who later went to prison for stealing $12 million from children's food programs.
Now the ringleader of that same fraud just got 41.5 years – and Omar has finally broken her silence.
What she said next is the most brazen move in a scandal full of them.
Ilhan Omar Feeding Our Future Denial Is Flat-Out False and Her Own Record Proves It
Under mounting pressure as Aimee Bock – the convicted ringleader of the $250 million Feeding Our Future fraud scheme – headed into sentencing, Ilhan Omar broke her silence with a written statement to Fox News.
"Any claim that I had knowledge of this scheme is flat-out false," she said.
Then came the blame shift: "The MEALS Act was signed into law by President Trump and passed with bipartisan support as part of a broader legislative package. Trump's USDA Secretary set the regulatory framework during the rollout of the program."
Omar wrote the MEALS Act, which provided taxpayer subsidized meals for kids.
Trump signed an omnibus package that contained it – the same way every president signs legislation containing hundreds of individual provisions authored by members of the opposing party.
The Minnesota House Fraud Prevention and State Agency Oversight Committee spent months on exactly this question and released its 84-page final report last week.
The finding was unambiguous: the MEALS Act "took the guardrails off" federal nutrition programs by letting for-profit restaurants collect federal reimbursements and eliminating the verification requirements that would have caught fake meal sites before they billed the government for millions of phantom meals.
Feeding Our Future recruited roughly 300 of those sites across Minnesota, billed for millions of meals that were never served, and wired the money to luxury cars, overseas accounts, and real estate in Kenya and Dubai.
The Minnesota Fraud Committee Said the MEALS Act Took the Guardrails Off
Court exhibits from Bock's 2025 federal trial show Omar's name appearing at least six times in emails and text messages submitted as evidence.
Omar came up in a Feb. 5, 2021 email chain with Bock under the subject line "help with USDA food program."
Days later, on Feb. 28, Bock exchanged messages with a Feeding Our Future employee who later fled the country after being indicted in 2022 – subject line: "Ilhan's Office."
According to Bock, the six exchanges were about help with the federal waivers that let non-school restaurants collect reimbursements – the same waivers that turned Feeding Our Future into a $250 million cash pipeline.
Investigators also recovered a direct text exchange between Bock and Omar in a raid on Bock's Minnesota home.
From her jail cell last week, Bock told the New York Post: "I struggle to believe that she wouldn't have known."
Omar filmed a 2020 video for Somali TV of Minnesota thanking Safari Restaurant by name as a meal distribution site.
Safari's owner was later convicted as a Feeding Our Future co-conspirator after collecting $12 million in federal funds.
Rep. Kristin Robbins, the fraud committee chair, put it plainly: "The reason it happened in such huge numbers in Minnesota is because she knew what was in that bill when maybe other legislators didn't – and she shared that information with her community."
Ilhan Omar Fraud Investigation Closes In After Democrats Block the Subpoena
The committee invited Omar to testify.
She never responded.
"She didn't even respond, ghosted us," Robbins told Fox News Digital.
Republicans moved to subpoena her documents. Democrats on the committee blocked the vote – it fell one short of the six required to pass.
The committee's final report accused Tim Walz's administration of fostering a "culture of tolerance" that allowed fraudsters to steal an estimated $300 million in meal program funds and up to $9 billion in Medicaid fraud across multiple programs.
Walz has already announced he won't seek a third term.
Omar's net worth – reported as $30 million in one disclosure and then amended to under $100,000 – is under House Ethics Committee review.
The DOJ Is Now Looking at Ilhan Omar Directly
JD Vance stood at the White House podium Tuesday and confirmed the Department of Justice is actively investigating Omar for immigration fraud and family finances.
"We're going to investigate it. We're going to take a look at it. If we think that there's a crime, we're going to prosecute that crime," Vance said. "And that's something the Department of Justice is looking at right now."
Omar called it a conspiracy theory and said the investigation isn't real.
The Vice President of the United States said otherwise – on camera, at the White House, with reporters present.
Ilhan Omar wrote the law that let Bock run the scheme – and she just told America it's Trump's fault.
Sources:
- Greg Wehner and Alexandra Koch, "DOJ charges 15 in 'shocking' $90M Minnesota fraud schemes; Feeding Our Future 'ringleader' sentenced," Fox News, May 21, 2026.
- "Feeding our Future ringleader Aimee Bock sentenced: Full details," Fox 9, May 21, 2026.
- "Omar breaks silence on alleged fraud connections in statement pointing to Trump admin: 'Flat-out false,'" Fox News, May 20, 2026.
- "Final Walz fraud report rips 'culture of tolerance' as Minnesota taxpayers face billions in alleged losses," Fox News, May 15, 2026.
- "WATCH: Omar silent when confronted on alleged ties to massive Minnesota fraud scandal," Fox News, May 20, 2026.
- "JD Vance confirms DOJ investigation of Rep. Ilhan Omar during White House press conference," American Almanac, May 19, 2026.
